2020 NONmonument: A sensory experience through unexplored atmospheres
Name: Federica Mambrini
Institution / Company: Politecnico di Milano
Name: Simona Capaldo
Institution / Company: Federico II di Napoli
– HONORABLE MENTION of 2020 Monument Competition
“Nowadays, what is a monument?”
Contemporary society is in a continuous evolution, always projecting towards the future, within which the monument can only be a NON_monument:
– We don’t want to celebrate / remember something from the past. We want to denounce a current problem to be solved in the future.
– We don’t want to enhance the aesthetic value of the building or its architecture. We rather use the latter as a means to communicate a global message.
– We want to locate it in Rome, the Eternal City. Where the past endures to transformations, also the future cannot be considered less valuable.
– We want to talk about “ecosystems at risk”, a subject that is still too underestimated, which due to globalization could have irreversible repercussions.
The idea is a self-sufficient skyscraper (metropolis icon) with low environmental impact (air purification machine, photovoltaic system). The floors are characterized by six different ecosystems built with advanced technologies and recycled materials, interconnected by vertical connection systems that define a path between unexplored atmospheres. The goal is to provocatively bring the community closer to a common even if distant problem with the hope that the issue of safeguarding ecosystems will be defended and supported by future generations.
#manifesto #SaveOurSouls #ecosystems #atmospheres #Technologicaldevelopment&AI